Wednesday, January 13, 2010

rough waters

one aspect of my training that i have changed is the incorportaion of more cross training and lifting. I am trying to add 2 days a week of lifts followed by rowing. the idea here is 2 steps forward and one back, add strength and speed at the cost of endurance. lifting to get stronger then rowing won't provide me the full effect of lifting but it will help to get stronger, just not as fast, while i maintain or even increase my endurance through rowing. thats the idea anyway. we'll see if it works. i'm adding the rowing as another CV activity to break the monotony of swim bike run until my trianing place will no longer allow me to do so at which point i'll switch back to the main three only. i like rowing becasue it is full body and mentally challenging.

todays workout:
back squat
5-5-5-5 at 155lbs
deadlift
5-5-5-5 at 185lbs

Row 20 min for max meters
5079m

the row was tough, first off my hamstrings and butt were sceaming the whole time. second at about 10 minutes my hands started to rub raw and blister so i had to alternate rowing one handed while i put chalk on them to prevent further damage. it hurt to hold the steeering wheel home. third the mental battle was something i needed badly. most of my races are spent alone, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do. rowing simulates that. no scenery changes, no other people. i row hard enough i can't talk to anyone (the flywheel is so loud anyway i don't know that anyone could hear me) and 20 minutes in one place at a challenging pace is no fun. so it was a great workout that sucked horribly. enough rambling, rest tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment